Monday, July 4, 2011

Ponzio's- Diner, Bakery, Bar

A late dinner out was in order after Chris's first (full) softball game in several years with his company and after a particularly hard couple of days at work for me. Chris has raved about taking me to Ponzios for years and I've always wanted to go as it just looks so well-established and trendy with an always packed parking lot. This is why it was so disconcerning when on the way there Wednesday night at a red light he says, "I feel...like you're going to be disappointed in this place."

What?

First of all- what a huge place! We ended up being seated in what I believe was called "The Garden Room" after passing several distinct sections of the restaurant, including the big bakery. I was able to peer into the 'bar'- not very impressive and inhabited by about 4-5 individuals in their 50s and 60s just watching television and not talking to each other.

We decided to order calamari (kind of sketchy to order at a diner) and then I ordered the veggie Alpine Swiss- a garden burger with Swiss, grilled mushrooms and fried and supposedly crispy onions on a thick sweet Brioche bun. Tasty, but not as much as it should have been. It didn't fulfill its potential as it came to be just a notch above room temperature and cooler than the fries I got on the side. I figured it was an issue of timing since Chris's crazy sandwich came out with the cheese melting off of the bun and syrup nice and hot. My cheese as a point of reference was already congealed and my onions, while delicious, were on the road to soggy. Comes with the usual pickle and slaw, however, I will say that mine was not over-drenched in dressing, which made it easier to eat. One day, I'll learn to like coleslaw. Maybe.


I must say Ponzio's is the closest diner to where I live, and my family has frequented it countless times making it rather difficult for me to be impartial. The family usually eats there on lazy Sundays for brunch and I usually get an omelet or fried eggs, the usual. So, in an attempt to be different, I went with something different. The sandwich is called a Monte Cristo, and it is put together with egg dipped sour dough, ham, turkey, swiss cheese, pineapple, and honey-mustard sauce. The honey-mustard sauce sold me. What I didn't expect was that egg dipped meant the sour dough slices were essential French Toast, and it was never explained to me that it would be served with a mini pitcher of hot breakfast syrup. The details were nice. The sandwich itself was a miniature adventure and it had no clear beginning, middle, or end. Cheese was everywhere, confectionery sugar was dusted on one side, and the choose your own adventure with the syrup made every bite different. However, in the midst of the hysteria, the flavors came together. I would reserve this sandwich only for nights when I need a designated driver to get to Ponzio's. And if you happen to take a girl on a date to this particular diner, I warn you, there is no romantic or flattering way to eat the Monte Cristo.


Some argue that the portion of a review that covers the appetizer should be placed before the reviews of the entrees, and I argue that the literal appetizer should be delivered to the table before the literal entrees. Well, we both lose in this case. In the waitress' defense she was extremely apologetic about forgetting to put in our calamari order, and after she rushed back to the kitchen the amount of time it took to come back with a platter of freshly, fried squid, was quick and full of more apologies. On to the actual quality of food; the calamari was only rings (no little full squids), it was crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, paired with a nice, light marinara sauce, but the amount of lemon juice they squirted over these crunchy cephalopods was enough to make both Chi and I pucker up as we munched away. Maybe, I'll try the mozzarella sticks next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment