Sunday, October 16, 2011

Hamilton Family Diner

What a weekend! Chi and I just finished our first ballroom competition of the season (with mixed results) so, naturally, we were hungry. Guess what happened next? Yup, Chi plugged diner into the TomTom and we were off to Trenton. This gem (giving my verdict up early) is located on Nottingham Way just off of exit 63 on 295. We rolled in at around eight thirty at night and I honestly was unsure if it was open. It was a Saturday, the lights didn't seem to bright, there weren't too many cars in the parking lot, and at first I couldn't see anyone inside. The door was unlocked and we were seated at a booth near the front door.

More Chicken Salad than Anticipated
We were exhausted and I was in the need for something home made, fast, and fulfilling. I bounced between entrees for a while, "should I get the fish and chips or the chicken cordon bleu?" Then I saw that double decker sandwiches came with fries, slaw, a pickle, soup, and dessert for six bucks. Sold. They had chicken salad and I was all in. The fries were fried nicely and had a crispy exterior, and after a long day I was happy to know they had just been taken out of the fryer. The sandwich definitely stole the show on my plate. Besides the obvious chicken salad the sandwich was also packed with thick bacon and fresh crispy lettuce and tomato. For the chicken, think of a double scoop sized portion, that's how stuffed the sandwich was. I opted for rye bread without asking what my options were, but I'm sure the diner has the standard white and wheat bread as well. I was mostly impressed with the price of my meal since the chicken salad itself, although delicious, was not the best I've tasted. While the chicken taste was there, the texture of the salad was very pasty, and I'm from the school of chunky chicken salad. Because of the pastiness, I couldn't help being suspicious of how much my chicken salad was actually chicken and not filler. I'll let you go and get back to me with your opinion.
Chocolate Ice Cream, We Think
As for dessert, the selection is nothing to brag about. Just a couple of weeks ago, Chi and I were at the Club Diner on the Black Horse Pike and we had pie included on our ticket price! Pie! This time, our options were pudding, jell-o, and ice cream. Wahh Wahh Wahhhh. I went with chocolate ice cream. It was weird, there was something off about it, like it was aged ice cream with possible freezer burn. I ate half of  mine, but if it wasn't for the long weekend I'm sure I would have only given it a taste.

Sleepy Sleepy Sleepy
I know we have been to a sleepy diner before (see our Red Oak Diner and Bakery post) but this one was truly sad. Considering the fact that it was prime-time dinner time on a Saturday night when we visited, there was no one there. For the duration of our 45-minute meal nobody came. Three employees occupied the forlorn (but clean) space, checking their phones, taking multiple smoke breaks and eating food they created for themselves. The one who waited on us was friendly enough, and was kind enough to brew us fresh coffee...but I assume only because there was none already made. I always worry about the financial stability of diners, and I would be more sympathetic to the Hamilton Family Diner if it wasn't for the fact that they looked as if they couldn't care less.


Cream of Broccoli
It's a shame because the quality of their food is actually better than average, despite their appearance. Both Chris and I opted for the soup option of our meals, and we both picked cream of broccoli which seemed like the healthy option. Turns out it was pretty tasty too! Temperature wise, it was kind of complacently warm, but it was truly creamy and hearty, like a chowder should be, with a healthy amount of broccoli bits.


Somewhere Beneath the Chips is Fish
I convinced Chris to let me have the fish and chips, and I'm really thankful he did. This was the flakiest, softest fried-fish I've ever tasted. It fell apart like tongue-burning butter, almost like a halibut would as opposed to the typical cod. I waited for a chance to ask someone about it, but our waitress made herself virtually unavailable until I lost interest. I hear that this is how the West Coast does fish and chips, but I need someone to confirm this. Delicious, hot, and with a good amount on the plate, I really couldn't ask for more. The tartar sauce was strange, almost as if it had been over-dressed with extra dill, perhaps a hint of mint, and ultimately distracting to the fish rather than enhancing.


Also, note that they have a very unoriginal and limited scope on the idea of 'sides'. I was asked what sides I wanted and before I could really reply, our waitress suggested that I just get double-fries. Yummy, but you know, not what I need with a meal that already, by default, consists of half a plate of them. I later found out through evesdropping that their sides for the night were broccoli, carrots, or mixed veggies. Um, yeah...not so much.

Additional notes:
I had half of my sandwich as leftover two days later, and it was still delicious. The exterior looks like a Christmas tree. Seriously.
Fa la la la la, la la la la

No comments:

Post a Comment