Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pat's Diner

First thing you notice about Pat's Diner is that it's super small, especially because the back room (by the tiny bar) was closed. The prep station is right in the middle of the room so you can see your waitress make/pour coffee, toast your bread, and scoop your pudding. Not only can you keep tabs on your waitress (I'm sure the purpose was to do the opposite) but you can also see everyone else which could be awkward if you're looking for a more private dining experience.

Our waitress, who I'll call Tiana (from Princess and the Frog), was super professional, and had a sweet, hardworking demeanor. She was accommodating not only to us but to a difficult table next to us with three rowdy children who all DEMANDED dessert that they couldn't share.

Soup and Salad
 Let me just say- $8.25 goes a long way at Pat's Diner. I don't think I'll ever not appreciate how cheap NJ Diner's are, and how much you can get for your money. I ordered the fish and chips, because I wanted something hearty but not saucy. I was given an extensive choice of sides (multiple ways of doing potato, rice, veggies,etc.) and I chose broccoli because I was a little apprehensive. Not only was there that, but it came with soup AND salad. Most places give you the option of one or the other, so I was totally taken aback by this generosity.

Fish and Delicious Chips
My soup, lima bean, was surprisingly tasty and flavorful. It was more than just salty or brothy, and I appreciated the effort that was put into it. It was a bit watery, but I liked that the beans themselves were big and full. My salad, was basic as I expected, but clearly fresh and colorful with big, even slices of tomato which I appreciated. It wasn't drowning in water like previous diner salads that I've had, and was generally pleasant to pick at (even without dressing).

My main entree did not disappoint me either, although it was a little strange. Fish and chips has a very distinctive look to it, slightly thicker filet cuts of white fish, battered and then fried. You know the drill. These came out more like wide pieces of fish sticks. Granted, they were tastier than the ones you'd expect from the grade school cafeteria...I felt like un tres chic 4th grader. Nevertheless, the breading was decent, it wasn't that oily, and it stayed crispy throughout the duration of the meal. My 'chips' were amazing. Who'd a thunk that this little diner hidden in a nook of a not-so-great looking part of Trenton, NJ would make delicious, delicious, French fries that were hot, crispy, well-salted and never got that weird hollow density that happens when they get cold.
The Best Side of Broccoli I Have Ever Seen

Places like Pat's Diner is why I love this blog. I had never heard of this place, didn't know exactly where it was, and was completely unfamiliar with the area. As we drove through Trenton I admit I was getting a little nervous since some of the other shops and stores on the block seemed dirty and not well kept. But, then we saw the small building on the corner and I parked the car in a smaller lot around the back. Pat's certainly does not boast lavishness; the walls were not plated with chrome, but the place was clean.

Chicken Salad Sandwich Done Right
We were seated in a corner of the main dining room and were handed an extensive menu. I thumbed through the pages until I found the sandwich section. Pat's diner has a great list of double-decker sandwiches and they're all priced around six dollars. Like Chi said earlier, a little money goes a long way. I ordered the chicken salad sandwich and it was huge, which was great since I had a long night of lessons ahead of me. The chicken salad itself was refreshing and loaded with white meat. They throw in celery for the nice crunchy texture as you bite your way through the four triangles. The mayo was definitely present, but not overwhelming. Also, if you look closely, those are thick-cut bacon strips thrown in above the tomatoes, awesome. I think my favorite part of the meal, though, was the fries. The sandwich was good, but the fries pulled everything together. Each one was crispy on the outside and filled with soft, steamy, potato-y goodness. And, every once in a while I could take a little bite of tasty, non-soupy, coleslaw. I'm excited to visit Pat's again and maybe try their Reuben, or maybe their pastrami. Here's to looking forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment